Hi 5th class and families, 4th May 2020
This week 5th class are going to be doing ‘Active Homes Week’. We are going to try to get active through lots of activities in different subjects. I will be sharing daily ‘fun’ fitness challenges for all the family to get involved in, over on Google Classroom.
Since we are mainly using Google Classroom for teaching and learning at the moment, we have an agreement written to make sure everyone is safe while working online. Have a read of it below, if you don’t understand anything or have any questions about it let me know.
[embeddoc url=”http://ourladyoflourdesns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Google-Classroom-Agreement-OLOL.docx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”]
Hi everyone, 27th April 2020
Our Google Classroom has been working really well so I will continue to share activities and tasks with you on it. If you are having any issues accessing it, or have any questions at all send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have been working on a class poem about everything that’s happening around us in the world. Everyone submitted their own line and we are really proud of how it turned out.
Hope you’re all doing well during this strange time. I know I gave you all plenty of work last week in school but I’m adding some more activities and ideas here for something different to what you already have. Like we discussed, I don’t expect you to do everything-just a selection of activities.
Google Classroom: We are going to trial Google Classroom this week in 5th Class. There have been some technical difficulties getting it set up and I know the access code I sent to you all this morning is not working. I’m working on fixing it and hopefully I will get it set up for you all as soon as possible. In the meantime, try some of the activities below to keep you busy!
Hopefully see you all very soon!
- Spell your name PE (see picture below). After you’ve spelled your name spell everyone in your family’s name!
- ‘The Body Coach’ PE with Joe. Monday – Friday 9am on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1
- Practice Mr. Minogue’s circuits (sit ups, burpees, plank, butterfly kicks, jumping jacks, press ups) and maybe add some of these exercises to the circuit: tuck jumps, squat jumps, heel taps, wall sit/imaginary chair challenge.
- Choose some activities from the Active Choice Board (see picture below)
- Get involved in John Boyne’s (Author of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas) creative writing competition. See the following link for more information. https://johnboyne.com/short-story-competition/?fbclid=IwAR0ImQA4UNahVQKN2l8YeRZS19go3K4iYG9FJ6uF3baFLY6s4FNhnWhy-U0
There are great prizes, the winning stories might be read out on the radio. Entries due in by Wed 25th March.
- Writing Choice board: choose some writing activities from the choice board below:
- Continue reading your novels and library books.
- Create a comic strip for your favourite scene in your book.
- Choose some reading activities from the choice board below:
- Practise your times tables.
- Choose some activities from the choice board below:
- Junk Art: raid your recycling bin and create a monster (or whatever you like) using recycled materials.
- Still life drawing: Choose random items at home and draw them.
- Project: Create a project on ‘People/A person that made a difference’. You can write this project on a poster, in your W2R pad or make a PowerPoint presentation. I look forward to seeing them!
- Get involved in RTE 2FM’s ‘Create Don’t Contaminate’ social media challenges with your family. They are setting daily challenges online such as toilet roll keepy upy’s.
- Play card games with your family. Here’s a link to some game ideas: https://www.kidspot.com.au/things-to-do/kids-games/indoor-play/snap-12-classic-card-games-to-teach-the-kids/news-story/1d153893aee53908749c1377c588928c
- Coding: Use some of the skills you learned from our DreamSpace coding workshop to deisgn a game using block code on the free MakeCode Arcade website https://arcade.makecode.com/